Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Stacking Bricks Again

Hello friends!

We have been in the process of closing our business which has been an emotional drain so I'm glad you've stuck with me while I've not been posting quite so much.  I really miss you guys!

This is part of the change I posted about in my New Year's post.  Hopefully, we are on to the adapt and create part of the 3 words for the year!  I'm hoping this means more time with you!

It's been quite some time since I've had time to work on a quilt that wasn't a gift with a deadline.  This past weekend and yesterday, I finally had some time to sew!

Last June I started working on the pieces for Stacked Bricks and I told you about that process here. As I had time, I continued to work on this quilt top and showed you the progress here.  Finally things are progressing to a point that I can show it to you again.



The strips between are attached and the first border is on.  I need to decide on the next border to make this a bit larger.

The quilt was not without a challenge.

First look at all that bias!  While the bricks are on the straight of grain, they are at an angle when pieced.

The triangles on both ends are quarter square which means they have a straight of grain on the outside edge of the strip -- whew!  If they were on the bias it would be a nightmare!

However, the rows are mirror images and the top and bottom pieces had to be mirror images as well.

Here is what happens when the wrong piece is stitched in.  It's just laid on here, but, yup, I put it in wrong the first time!



Notice that the bricks are tumbling on the right strip!

Here is what it looks like now. 



the bricks are properly stacked and the herringbone pattern is in tact.

How did I miss that in the first place?

Here is another look at the quilt top so far.


Do you have any suggestions for the border?  I'd like it pieced I think, but would it be too busy then?  Sometimes I plan a quilt completely before I take a stitch and sometimes, like this one, I design as I go.

So here's your chance to tell me what you'd like to see the next border to be -- don't be shy, speak up!

Next week I'll be in Dallas so hope all you Dallas area quilters and quilt lovers will be at the Dallas Quilt Celebration.  Look me up.  I'll be in The National Quilt Association, Inc. booth.  Stop and say "hello"!  I'd love to meet you in person.

Until next time,
Lois

No comments: